One of the best parts of a Roatan vacation rental is the ability to cook and dine inside or out whenever you want for little more than the price of groceries. In fact, in a recent study*, access to full kitchen facilities was cited by over 80% of respondents as a reason they choose vacation rentals over traditional hotels or resorts. It's easy to see why. With access to a "real" kitchen, vacation home renters can save significant amounts of money on food and eat what they want (often healthier), when they want (sometimes not so healthy) versus dining out every meal.
Mar 1, 2013 11:00:00 AM
Feb 27, 2013 11:00:00 AM
Ever hear it? With four kids, we get that one every now and then… especially when we remove, limit or otherwise banish the neglect-o-matics (video game players, watching TV or videos, etc.).
Leave the Video Games Home
We have yet to encounter this problem when we go to our home in Roatan, though. There's definitely something about the change in scenery, the shift to Island time and, of course, the weather, that makes even the most simple things as engrossing (and far more fulfilling) than the latest Call of Duty, Cookin' Mama or Pokemon game.
Feb 2, 2013 5:30:00 PM
Decisions, decisions, decisions...
The hard part about going someplace new is that you initially know very little about it. That's also the cool part. Exploring new places is a lot of fun.
But before the fun starts, you have to make at least a couple of decisions on relatively little, first-hand knowledge. The biggest of these, of course, is where to stay. You've picked your location in the "where does my plane land" sense. Now you've got to pick your location in the "Where do I tell the taxi driver to go" sense.
Well, if your answer to the first question was Roatan - that perfect little, semi-discovered gem in the southwestern Caribbean - the second answer is easy:
It's West End Village!
That's especially true if this is your first visit to Roatan. West End Village, or simply West End, is the best place for a Roatan vacation. There are lots of reasons why...
- It's actually a village - people work and live in the West End
- It's right on the water - that means easy access to diving, fishing, sailing, water sports and... water taxis (which can take you to places like West Bay Beach)
- It has a beach - West End encompasses Half Moon Bay and beautiful Half Moon Bay Beach
- It's loaded with shops, restaurants and night life - you'll never need to leave (and you won't want to)
- It's eclectic - from budget hotels hosting backpackers to luxury vacation rental villas housing groups of couples on vacation
- It's fast-food and strip mall free! - you actually feel like you're exploring someplace new, not like they planted a palm tree at your local McDonalds
- It's laid-back but lively - the perfect home base from which to explore Roatán, either on foot or horseback, by car, boat or zipline