Over our first year as the proud owners of a Roatan Vacation rental, Mary and I have received more than 1,000 inquiries. As a result, we spend a fair bit of time answering questions from prospective guests. So we thought it might be helpful to post answers to the most common of these questions.
Here goes, in no particular order:
- Should we stay in West End or West Bay?
- Do we need a car?
- What's the weather like in ______ ?
- Can we drink the water?
- What are the pros and cons of a vacation rental versus a resort?
Roatan Honduras Geography: Where to Stay?
It is understandable why this question comes up all the time. Where to stay is a big decision. You might only visit Roatan Island once in your life, and where you stay has a huge impact on the quality of your vacation. For a lot of visitors, this question boils down to West End vs. West Bay, but it's really bigger than that. Sandy Bay, Pristine Bay and the East End are all additional options.
For us, the essential question is this: do you want total peace and quiet or do you want to stay where you "play"? Most visitors to Roatan want to experience West Bay beach, and most will want to shop, stroll, wine and dine in West End (often more than once). The key is choosing which of those things you want to live closest to for a week or more.
Read more on where to stay:
- Go West (End) Young Man
- The Great Roatan Vacation Debate: West End vs West Bay
- 5 Reasons A West End Roatan Vacation Rental Is Not For You
- 5 Reasons A West Bay Roatan Vacation Rental Is Not For You
- 5 Reasons A Pristine Bay Roatan Vacation Rental Is Not For You
- 5 Features of the Best Roatan Resorts: Location
To Rent a Car or Not To Rent A Car
This one is relatively easy. DO NOT rent a car if you stay in West End. Save the money and spend it on fun stuff. DO rent a car if you stay almost anywhere else and want to experience West End and other parts of the island.
Roatan Honduras Weather: When to Visit?
Roatan weather is beautiful most of the time, but there is a rainy season. We wrote an entire blog post on the island's weather patterns. As opposed to copying it all here, just click on the following link: Roatan Honduras Weather.
Can We Drink The Water?
In general, no. In our Coral Vista Villas, yes. We have installed whole home water filtration systems that use micro filtration and UV light to make sure the water out of every tap and faucet is safe to drink.
The Pros and Cons of a Roatan Vacation Rental
Many of the people with whom we speak have never rented a vacation home before - or at least never without seeing it first hand. They are used to resort condos and hotel rooms. But renting vacation homes from the owner is a booming trend. Here's why:
- You get a lot more room, including shared social space
- You get a lot more privacy
- You have many more day-to day options (like where and when to eat)
- You benefit from the owner's local knowledge
- You often find better locations to stay
- It often costs less!
The reality of hotels and resorts is that they don't do larger parties well. Groups of friends and extended families often require three, four or more hotel rooms. That gets expensive, not to mention less than ideal from a social perspective.
You can read more here:
- Roatan Vacation Rentals vs Roatan Resorts
- 3 Keys to a Roatan Vacation Rental: Location, Location, Location
Coral Vista Roatan Vacation Rentals
Here's how our villas stack up on these five key questions:
- Location: West End
- Rental Car: Definitely Not
- Weather: Same as the rest of the island - best from mid-December to August
- Drinking Water: All Clear
- Vacation Rental Benefits: all of the above
We hope you check us out and look forward to seeing you on the island in the near future.