Ever hear it? With four kids, we get that one every now and then… especially when we remove, limit or otherwise banish the neglect-o-matics (video game players, watching TV or videos, etc.).
Leave the Video Games Home
We have yet to encounter this problem when we go to our home in Roatan, though. There's definitely something about the change in scenery, the shift to Island time and, of course, the weather, that makes even the most simple things as engrossing (and far more fulfilling) than the latest Call of Duty, Cookin' Mama or Pokemon game.
The vast majority of our guests visit the island for a week, so we have come up with a list of three fun things to do every day for seven days. So, for your next Roatan vacation rental, whether you are here with friends, kids or grandkids, you should never have to hear, "I'm bored".
21 Things To Do On A Roatan Vacation
- Dive over 100 world-class sites (Native Sons is our favorite shop)
- Swing on the sailboat rope swing in Half Moon Bay
- Take the water taxi to West Bay Beach and play in the sand
- While you're there, rent a jet ski and play in West Bay
- Charter a fishing boat and spend a day reeling in the big one
- Take in the jungle canopy with South Shore Zip-line Adventures
- Hang out on the beach in West End and pretend you're a local
- Play the award-winning Black Pearl golf course at Pristine Bay
- Stroll West End road and look at the shops
- Hang with the monkeys at Gumbalimba Park
- Snorkel Half Moon Bay and find the sunken sub
- Swim with dolphins at the Dolphin Experience at AKR
- Paddleboard the coastline with Steve's Paddle Shack in West End
- Catch a band at one of the local bars in West End
- Volunteer to read stories to children at the Roatan Day Care Center
- Sip a cocktail and watch the sun set at Sundowners in West End
- Visit the Black Pearl replica pirate ship in Oakridge
- Feed the iguanas at Arch's Iguana Farm in French Harbour
- Hike the beach from West End to West Bay (an hour each way)
- Visit Maya Key and see the exotic animal rescue hospital
- Journey to the abyss in Karl Stanley's submarine in Half Moon Bay
Roatan Vacation Rental Activities Are Simple Pleasures
Now, you might be thinking as you scan the list that these aren't all "real" activities. That's understandable. It seems that the pace of life to which we have all become accustomed has defined the term "activity" to mean something with a schedule and a cost and a "purpose". And to be sure, there are some of those kinds of activities on our list. But there are also some other ones - activities that, frankly, require a slight paradigm shift to truly appreciate.
As it turns out, that paradigm shift is very hard to make in the midst of our day-to-day responsibilities. But fortunately, there is a place where families and friends can escape, reconnect and truly enjoy life's simple pleasures. All you need to do is visit...